Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Wood working is a craft too.

I just had to share this frame that Nick finished up for me this week.

This picture is one my Grandparents had hanging in their den when I was growing up. I don't ever remember a time when it wasn't there, right up until the day they were getting rid of it. I just had to snag it for myself.

When I got it from them, it had this horrible gold colored plastic skinny frame around it.


...I forgot to take a picture while it was still hanging on the wall, so just ignore the ugly carpet. :)

When I got him (we call him Geronimo, and refer to the picture as such), I was still living in my apartment & didn't really have a big enough place to put him (he's pretty good size - about 25"x30"), so I hung him in Nick's house above the stairs going into the basement. Nick said I could keep him there until he scared me some night, convinced the giant head above the basement stairs would eventually startle me. Thankfully he never has, and that's been his home ever since.

From the time I got him, I've always wanted to update Geronimo's frame. Since he's so big, I knew I wanted a pretty wide frame, and had decided I wanted an old barn board type frame. I got it priced out a few places (including Michael's constant 50% off framing sales), and couldn't believe how much it was going to be for such a big frame! Outrageous!

So for the past couple years, I've been bugging Nick about making me a frame for Geronimo, but we hadn't gotten around to it.

This year, I had to take Geronimo down when I started the entryway remodel back over Easter weekend. Fortunately the remodel required redoing some of the trim, which we had done in simple 1x4 cedar. Finally, extra wood for Geronimo's frame!

Originally I wanted to use the rough-cut side of the boards, but we weren't able to because we got a little sloppy when we put the poly the first time. Nick did a simple round-over on the inside of the frame, we put a few extra coats of poly on it, and I was able to get it hung back up this weekend! I'm so exciting to have him back in the entryway, it felt so empty while he was gone during the remodel.

I'm absolutely loving the new frame, it's exactly the look I was going for, and we didn't have to buy any new wood for the project!


Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Wowza, he is big! Great place to display it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he's very big! It's really the only place we could put him, but it's really a perfect fit. The ceiling is basically where the picture cuts off, and I'm trying to decide if I want to move him up so he's centered vertically in the space as well, but haven't made up my mind yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)